What is 2 year old funding?
Devon is part of the government scheme offering funding for some 2 year olds. The scheme aims to offer flexible, free childcare places to improve children’s learning and development.
Children can claim 11 hours per week all year or 15 hours per week term time only.
Who can claim?
Your 2-year-old is eligible for funded childcare if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Universal Credit, and your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, not including benefit payments
- Child Tax Credits and your household income is £16,190 a year or less before tax
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
2-year-olds can also get funded childcare if they:
- are looked after by the Local Authority
- have an Education, Health and Care Plan
- get Disability Living Allowance
- have left care under an adoption order, special guardianship order or a child arrangements order
Parents or carers of foster children, children who are in the care of another local authority, children with additional needs or adopted children should apply online and attach supporting evidence to their application.
What happens next?
If you receive an invitation in the post, your child may be entitled to 2-year-old funding – but you will need to check your eligibility.
Find out more about these definitions at GOV.UK: Free education and childcare for 2-year-olds.
If you have any questions about 2-year-old funding please email email@example.com.
When can my child access the free childcare?
Child born between: Funding can be claimed from:
1st April-31st Aug 1st Sept following 2nd birthday
1st Sept-31st Dec 1st Jan following 2nd birthday
1st Jan- 31st Mar 1st April following 2nd birthday
When signing up a child for the 2 year old funding via Little Ones, please note we will only take registrations during the term before your child is due to claim the funding.
Once approved the entitlement to 2 year old funding lasts until they go on to the Early Years Entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds even if your financial circumstances change.
Please ask your nursery manager for more information
More information can be found on the Devon County Councils web site https://www.devon.gov.uk/educationandfamilies/early-years-and-childcare/childcare/2-year-old-funding